Sunday, July 6, 2008

Icing on the cookie

There are many methods to decorate a cookie. One way is by using fondant which is a broadly used term referring to confections made from sugar syrup. It's super easy to use, just like Play Doh, and makes cookies look really beautiful and vibrant. However, I find the substance bland and its sugary taste and chewy texture a bit off-putting.



I use royal icing to decorate the cookies. Royal icing is basically made using egg whites, icing sugar, water and flavourings (lemon juice, vanilla essence or almond essence). In the early days of decorating cookies, I used raw egg whites. However, I ended up with jars of egg yolk with no homes, so I've switched to egg white powder or meringue powder. Incidentally, this also reduces the risk of salmonella poisoning from the raw egg whites. Egg white powder and meringue powder are pretty pricey but well the worth.

No comments: